Thursday 14 July 2011

Some hats...

A couple of sun hats I made recently, on a day off, (don't worry, I don't get many), and very much on a whim!

The first was made of denim, taken from a pair of old jeans.  The brim has some buckram in it to stop it from flopping completely.


The flower decoration on the side is made up of layers of denim, and a pretty floral print cotton fabric - the same cotton lines it.  The centre of the flower is a pewter button.


The second is made of navy blue and white striped cotton, with a 6 panelled crown (like the denim one).  The zig zag shaping of the stripe is created by cutting the panels on an angle.

The brim has some buckram in it, again, and it's lined (and the brim faced) with white linen.





All of which brings me onto a wee bit of news...

A few weeks ago, I applied to study millinery, part time.  And today I was offered a place on the excellent course at Leeds College of Art.  I'm incredibly excited about it, and can't wait for it to begin.

In other words, watch this space for more hat stuff over the next couple of years, modern and historical!

No comments:

Post a Comment