Wednesday 23 March 2011

Dame Elizabeth Taylor

I'm in the middle of writing the blog post I intended to write today, but have broken off from it to add this one.

That's becasue I just saw the news on the BBC website that Elizabeth Taylor has died.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12833100

When I was a little girl, I used to watch old movies with my Nana.  The beautiful women in beautiful dresses (Ginger Rogers, Vivienne Leigh, Marylin Monroe, etc) were what made me want to be able to make dresses one day.

But the one who inspired me more than any other was Elizabeth Taylor.  (It helped that, like Anne of Green Gables, I was desperate to have a mane of raven black hair, not the silver-blonde-turned-to-red hair that I do have.)

Even now I still have a selection of pictures of Elizabeth Taylor on my sewing room walls.
This is the one that stopped me in my tracks the first time I saw it - the hair, the make up, the dress...



One of the world's great actresses (a double oscar winner), a great style icon (she did 'glamour at 40 and 50 in an age when cauliflower haircuts were the norm), and a great person (she continued to campaign for her HIV charity despite her own severely declining health).

I truly hope she rests in peace.




Postscript - and don't you love it that she purposely arranged to arive late for her funeral!

No comments:

Post a Comment